Sureeporn Punpuing is a Director, and an Associate Professor of the Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University. Her research focuses primarily on cross-border migration, impacts of migration on the family and elderly left behind, population- environment interactions and health. Dr. Punpuing used to worked as a population affairs officer at United Nations in New York, a consultant for ESCAP, IOM, ILO and WHO in Bangkok, and UNFPA in Mongolia.
Dr. Punpuing teaches advanced analysis of migration and human ecology to Masters and Ph.D students. She holds a Bachelor degree in Statistics from Silpakorn University, Thailand, a certificate in Population Sciences from Deems University, India, Master‘s degree in Demography and a Ph.D in Resource and Environmental Sciences from the Australian National University. She is now also a site leader of the Kanchanaburi DSS which is a longitudinal study on health consequence of population changes in Thailand.
|Country(s) of nationality||Thailand|
|Country of residence||Thailand|
|Mailing address||Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University at Salaya Phutthamonthon, Nakornpathom Thailand 73170|
|Telephone (Home)||66-2-988 7237|
|Telephone (Office)||66-2 -441 9520|
|Institution:||The Australian National University|
|Discipline:||Resource Management and Environmental Sciences|
|Director – 4 ½ years|
1. United Nations, Population Division
Other honorary or professional positions
1. President, Thailand Population Association (2008-2010)
1. Punpuing S., Kitisriworaphan T. and Musikaphan W. 2011. Migration and Environment. In Thailand Migration Report 2011: Migration for development in Thailand: Overview and tools for policymakers, edited by Jerrold W. and Aphichat Chamratrithirong. International Organization for Migration (IOM): pp. 75 – 84.
2. Punpuing S. and Kerry Richter. 2011. Urbanization and Migration Impact. In Impact of Demographic Change In Thailand edited by Gavin Jones and Wassana Im-em. The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA): pp. 99 – 113.
3. Firestone, R, Punpuing S. Karen E. Peterson, Dolores Acevedo-Garcia, and Steven L. Gortmaker. 2011. Child overweight and undernutrition in Thailand: Is there an urban effect? Social Science & Medicine. 72 (2011): 1420-1428.
4. Khaing Khaing Soe, Punpuing S, Chamratrithirong A, and Guest P. 2011. The Impact of Migration on Mobility of Other Family Members in Thailand Asian Population Studies, 7 (2): 107 – 121.
5. Sucharitakul S. Punpuing S. 2011. Migration Duration and Household Asset Change. Sri Lanka Journal of Population Studies, 12 (13): 32 – 54.
6.Boonyamanond, S. and Punpuing S. 2011. Impact of The 1997 - 98 Financial Crisis on Employment, Migration, and Poverty Lessons Learnt from Thailand. In Poverty and Food Security in Southeast Asia: Is the Crisis Over for the Poor, edited by Aris Anata and Richard Barichello. ISEAS Publishing: pp. 323 -354.