PURUSHOTTAM M. KULKARNI is Professor, Centre for the Study of Regional Development, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, 110 067. Born in 1950 in India, he obtained the Ph.D. degree in Statistics from the Colorado State University, in 1974 and was a Post Doctoral Fellow at the Brown University during1974-75. He has been engaged in teaching and research in India since 1976. Prior to taking up the present position, he was Professor, Department of Population Studies, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Associate Professor, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, Deputy Director, Population Research Centre, Dharwad, and Research Officer, Population Centre, Bangalore. His research interests include mathematical demography, fertility, family planning, population policy, health, social disparities, and more recently, sex ratio. He has published two monographs and papers in Population Studies, Demography, Genus, Demography India, Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, Asia-Pacific Population Journal, Journal of Health and Population in Developing Countries, Economic and Political Weekly, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, and in other journals and edited volumes. He has served on advisory committees of the Census of India, various universities, research institutes, government departments, and international organizations and on the Editorial Boards of journals in the field of population.
|Country(s) of nationality||INDIAN|
|Country of residence||INDIAN|
Centre for the Study Regional Development School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi 110 067 INDIA
|Highest degree||Ph. D.|
|Institution:||Colorado State University|
Professor, Centre for the Study Regional Development School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University
1. Professor, Department of Population Studies, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India
2. Associate Professor, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, India
3. Deputy Director, Institute of Economic Research, Dharwad, India
Other honorary or professional positions
1. Member, Council, Asian Population Association, 2011-12
2. Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Asian Population Studies
3. Member, Technical Advisory Committee, Census of India 2011
1. 2012: India‘s Child Sex Ratio: Worsening Imbalance, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, IX92): 112-114.
2. 2009: Shaping India‘s Population Policy and Programme: Internal Factors and External Influences, Artha Vijnana, LI (1): 12-38.
3. 2004: Does the Pattern of Causes of Death Vary across Socioeconomic Classes within a Population? An Exploratory Analysis for India, (with Saswata Ghosh), Genus LX (2): 55-82.
4. 1995: Recent Fertility Declines in China and India: A comparative view, (with S. Rani), Asia‑Pacific Population Journal, 10(4): 53‑74.
5. 1992: Impact of Mortality Decline on Marital Duration and Length of Post‑Dissolution Life at Different Divorce Levels, Genus, XLIII (3‑4), 1992, pp. 45‑61.
6. 1976: Extrapolation of IUD Continuation Curves (with R. G. Potter), Population Studies, 30 (2). 353‑368.
Institute for Population and Social Research,
Mahidol University, Salaya Campus, Phutthamonthon,
Nakhon Pathom, 73170 Thailand
Copyright © 2021 Asian Population Association
Starting on April 1, 2021