The Asian Population Association (APA) invites institutions, organisations and national population associations in Asian countries to consider hosting the 6th Asian Population Association Conference either in the second half of 2023 or in 2024. The APA organises Asian Population Conference every three years in collaboration with a host country institution to discuss the latest population research and debate pressing regional population issues. It is anticipated that the next Conference will take place over three days (with possible pre-and post-conference activities) and will have between 600 and 800 participants. Depending upon the pandemic situation, the Conference can be in face-to-face mode, hybrid mode or fully virtual mode.
Both the APA and the host country collaborators commit themselves to significant financial and administrative responsibilities by agreeing to organize the conference. The host country collaborators are expected to set up a National Organizing Committee (NOC) that includes key members of the host country population community and others who will be responsible for local logistics. Host country collaborators can include government, non-government or private institutions, national professional associations, or a group of institutions. The expectation is that all partners will have a commitment to population research, teaching and policy.
Interested organisations are invited to submit a written proposal to the APA. The proposal should include the following headings:
- Structure of the proposed National Organizing Committee
- Collaborative institutions – e.g. national population association, universities, key government population related departments, national NGOs working on population issues. Letters of agreement from each institution should be in Annex 1. Indicate the lead organization.
- Who are the individuals who will take the lead in discussions with APA?
- Who will sign the formal letters of invitation, contract and other communications with donors and supporters?
- Suggested members for the APA managed Conference Scientific Committee
- List 3-4 national experts who will be willing to participate in the Scientific Committee in the design of the scientific program (Oral and Super Poster sessions).
- List of 3-10 national experts who will commit to reviewing abstracts in a timely fashion.
- Proposed conference venue and brief description of facilities available
- Describe the possible conference or conference-hotel facilities in the selected city.
- Describe the plans for travel, hotel, and local activities management, indicating whether this will involve a commercial meeting organizer or the lead organization’s administrative structures.
- Provide estimated budgets for
- Venue, meals, snacks, entertainment (Indicative estimate, which will be borne by NOC)
- Indicative daily rates for hotels, from budget to 4 star
- Indicative budget airfares from the following cities to the conference city:
- New Delhi
- Indicative estimate of the per person local transport
- Summary calculation of registration fee needed to cover all conference costs
- Summary calculation of full cost and partial cost of scholarships for participants
- Fundraising plan including
- List of funders to be approached for conference costs and indication of likely support
- List of funders to be approached for scholarship costs
- Schedule plan for NOC and APA meetings to meet critical target times for the scientific and conference planning which normally takes around one year
- Assurance (to the extent possible) that the host nation is accessible to all APA members with a reasonable guarantee of visas
The proposal should identify the formal organization extending the invitation and its capabilities, and the local coordinator who would handle communications with the APA Secretariat.
Deadline for submissions: 31 July 2022
The Council will review proposals submitted and decide which proposal to accept. A short site visit may be made by the APA Council to the preferred venue. If the site visit is positive, the venue will be formally approved by the Council. The APA Council will formally announce the host country institution and the venue for the 6th APA Conference thereafter.
Download PDF: Call for a Host Country Institution for the 6th Asian Population Association Conference